- 1. Compliance with Laws and Regulations
- 2. Content Restrictions
- 3. Conduct Restrictions
- 4. Spam and Inauthentic Activity on WVS
- 5. Services Usage Limits
- 6. Information Usage Restrictions
- 7. Privacy
- 8. Excessive Bandwidth Use
- 9. Advertising on WVS
- 10. User Protection
Short version: We host a wide variety of collaborative projects from all over the world, and that collaboration only works when our users are able to work together in good faith. While using the Service, you must comply with our Acceptable Use Policies, which include restrictions on the content that you can post, conduct on the service, and other limitations. In short, be excellent to each other.
You are responsible for using the Service in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, and all of our Acceptable Use Policies. These policies may be updated from time to time and are provided below, as well as in our Terms of Service.
Under no circumstances will Users upload, post, host, execute, or transmit any Content that:
- is unlawful or promotes unlawful activities;
- is or contains sexually obscene content;
- is libelous, defamatory, or fraudulent;
- is discriminatory or abusive toward any individual or group;
- gratuitously depicts or glorifies violence, including violent images;
- is or contains false, inaccurate, or intentionally deceptive information that is likely to adversely affect the public interest (including health, safety, election integrity, and civic participation);
- directly supports unlawful active attack or malware campaigns that are causing technical harms — such as using our platform to deliver malicious executables or as attack infrastructure, for example by organizing denial of service attacks or managing command and control servers — with no implicit or explicit dual-use purpose prior to the abuse occurring; or
- shares unauthorized product licensing keys, software for generating unauthorized product licensing keys, or software for bypassing checks for product licensing keys, including extension of a free license beyond its trial period; or
- infringes any proprietary right of any party, including patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity, or other right.
While using the Service, under no circumstances will you:
- harass, abuse, threaten, or incite violence towards any individual or group, including our employees, officers, and agents, or other users;
- post off-topic content or interact with platform features in a way that significantly or repeatedly disrupts the experience of other users;
- use our servers for any form of excessive automated bulk activity (for example, spamming or cryptocurrency mining), place undue burden on our servers through automated means, or to relay any form of unsolicited advertising or solicitation through our servers, such as get-rich-quick schemes;
- use our servers to disrupt or to attempt to disrupt, or to gain or to attempt to gain unauthorized access to any service, device, data, account, or network unless explicitly authorized by the WVS Bug Bounty program;
- impersonate any person or entity, including any of our employees or representatives, including through false association with WVS, or by fraudulently misrepresenting your identity or the site’s purpose; or
- violate the privacy of any third party, such as by posting another person’s personal information without consent.
Automated excessive bulk activity and coordinated inauthentic activity, such as spamming, are prohibited on WVS. Prohibited activities include but are not limited to:
- bulk distribution of promotions and advertising prohibited by WVS terms and policies;
- inauthentic interactions, such as fake accounts and automated inauthentic activity;
- rank abuse, such as automated starring or following;
- creation of or participation in secondary markets for the purpose of the proliferation of inauthentic activity;
- using WVS as a platform for propagating abuse on other platforms;
- phishing or attempted phishing.
You will not reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or exploit any portion of the Service, use of the Service, or access to the Service without our expressed written permission.
You may use information from our Service for the following reasons, regardless of whether the information was scraped, collected through our API, or obtained otherwise:
- Researchers may use public, non-personal information from the Service for research purposes, only if any publications resulting from that research are open access.
- Archivists may use public information from the Service for archival purposes.
Scraping refers to extracting information from our Service via an automated process, such as a bot or webcrawler. Scraping does not refer to the collection of information through our API. Please see our Terms of Service for our API Terms.
Misuse of User Personal Information is prohibited.
The Service’s bandwidth limitations vary based on the features you use. If we determine your bandwidth usage to be significantly excessive in relation to other users of similar features, we reserve the right to suspend your Account, throttle your file hosting, or otherwise limit your activity until you can reduce your bandwidth consumption. We also reserve the right—after providing advance notice—to delete repositories that we determine to be placing undue strain on our infrastructure.
Short version: We do not generally prohibit use of WVS for advertising. However, we expect our users to follow certain limitations, so WVS does not become a spam haven. No one wants that.
While we understand that you may want to promote your Content by posting supporters’ names or logos in your Account, the primary focus of the Content posted in or through your Account to the Service should not be advertising or promotional marketing. This includes Content posted in or through Pages, Packages, repositories, and all other parts of the Service. You may include static images, links, and promotional text in the README documents or project description sections associated with your Account, but they must be related to the project you are hosting on WVS. You may not advertise in other Users’ Accounts, such as by posting monetized or excessive bulk content in the Issue Tracker.
You may not promote or distribute content or activity that is illegal or otherwise prohibited by our Terms of Service or Acceptable Use Policy, including excessive automated bulk activity (for example, spamming), get-rich-quick schemes, and misrepresentation or deception related to your promotion.
If you decide to post any promotional materials in your Account, you are solely responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations, including without limitation the U.S. Federal Trade Commission’s Guidelines on Endorsements and Testimonials. We reserve the right to remove any promotional materials or advertisements that, in our sole discretion, violate any WVS terms or policies.
WVS reserves the right to remove any Content in violation of this policy.
You must not engage in activity that significantly harms other users. We will resolve disputes in favor of protecting users as a whole.